My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things

January 4, 2009

A New Year


I decided not to set any stitching goals this year other than to enjoy myself when I stitch. Last year I tried a rotation and tweaked it a couple of times but it never seemed to work out. As we begin 2009 there are so many stressful things on my mind that I want something I don't have to worry about or try and get done by a certain time and that is my stitching.

At Christmas I worked on Make a Wish but the pictures I took were blurry. I'll have to take some new ones when I pull it back out again.

On New Year's Eve I started Blue Mountain Bunny and finished him early in the morning on January 2nd. As soon as I get the embellishments attached I'll take a picture. I've put that off because I stabbed my thumb with a needle and it's very sore and I'm finding it hard to thread a needle or do anything more than basic x's. It's amazing how much we rely on our thumbs. So many little tasks are so difficult if your thumb hurts or even just because you have a bandaid on it.

I stitched more on Sea to Shining Sea for the first SAT of 2009 for Let's Stitch. I finished the second house, the Southwestern one, and more of the border.

On Saturday I started something for the Lizzie Kate exchange at Hooked on Exchanging.

I need to find something new to read at work during lunch. I tried starting Sour Puss by Rita Mae Brown and it's terrible. I love the Mrs. Murphy series but this one reads like a wine growing textbook. I'll probably finish it at home but I need something I enjoy more for work. Reading at lunch is my way to unwind and forget about the rude customers. As the economy has gotten worse I hear more and more complaints about how terrible my workplace is because our prices have risen along with every other place in town. Some comments get very personal which is just plain mean. What I sell and my company sells is purely entertainment along with booze and junk food which are not necessities of life like medicine, electricity, gasoline or even groceries. But people speak to us as if they are entitled to have entertainment at discount prices that would put my workplace out of business. It's the attitude of entitlement that gets to me. While I hope things get better in 2009 I am not going to be surprised if it doesn't get worse before things start to improve. A lot of people are going to be needlessly miserable if they don't get rid of this sense of entitlement and start counting the blessings they already have.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you - for what you do! While there seems there is no "rest for the stressed" we all have our needlework and our blog/cyber friends to stitch with and vent to. I am grateful for those things and that I got up this morning to celebrate "me" time (exercising while reading my stitiching friends' blogs).
In gratitude,
Lisa (Dublin, CA)
www.cadurst.blogspot.com

Barb said...

I know exactly what you mean about the sense of entitlement. I work for a large retail department store in customer service, which means taking returns and trying to resolve problems. Some people fight to get money that isn't even theirs to begin with. I don't have a very thick skin, so when a customer called me rude the other day, it really bothered me. She was trying to get more for her return than what I was supposed to give her, which is what we had to do because she raised a stink.

People in this country, even though times are bad, still have so much and it is so readily available. I could go on and on. Everyone needs to keep it all in perspective and be thankful for all we do have.

Nice work on Sea to Shining Sea!

Lennu said...

Happy New Year!! You have a lovely WIP. To enjoy stitching - that's a good goal for the new year :) That's the most important thing, isn't it!

QueenO'Cats said...

I know how hard it can be to take peoples abuse, all you can do is remember that you are doing the best you can for them. That may not help all that much, but hang in there and remember, you may the nicest and most helpful person that they encounter that day !!

Take time out to do the things that fullfill you, like your gorgeous stitching :) !!!

Your right that people should be more thankful for what they have, but we American's are not very good at Thankfullness !! We live in a society that urges us to want more, more, more....which is not a good thing, IMHO.

I feel the same as Lisa-your blog friends are hear to listen and support you.

Take care of yourself !!

Beth Ann

Queen O Cats

Deanne J said...

Happy New Year.

Your Sea to Shining Sea looks great, love the fabric