My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things

January 14, 2007

Winter Quaker Exchange



Now that Becky has received her package from me I can share a photo. I used a design from Le Quaker A Six Mains and stitched it with white on Colonial Blue Lugana. I then made a little cover for a small photo album. I had fun stitching this and deciding how to finish it. I've used parts of this free design for a couple of exchanges now and I like it a lot. Someday I want to stitch the entire piece for myself.

I drove over to Joann fabrics this morning to pick up some things to finish my Valentine exchange pieces and found they were going out of business. There was nothing left I could use in the needlework or fabric departments. With Walmart discontinuing fabric and crafts as well there is nowhere left near me to buy fabric. The big store in Shrewsbury is staying open but it's a long drive from our house. It surprised me that they were closing since Joann's was always busy. I guess people don't sew as much as they used to. When I was a teen I sewed many of my clothes and we had a huge fabric store the size of a large grocery store that carried every type of fabric you could want. I used to love their large wedding and prom section with all the beautiful satins and laces. A woman I work with has just learned to sew and buys most of her fabric on ebay. Buying fabric online just isn't the same as going into a store. I don't like not being able to see the exact colors or touch and feel the cloth to tell if it was good quality the way my mom and grandma taught us.

10 comments:

BeckySC said...

Thank you again, Chris for a great exchange :)

Sharon said...

Lovely exchange and a neat way to finish a project.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh, beautiful exchange! I love the blue of the fabric you chose!
That is very disappointing when a store that you use up and closes. I hope that you can find something either on line or closer for those last minute needs :)

Anonymous said...

I saw this on Becky's blog. Very nice job you did.

Unknown said...

I hope all the Joann's aren't going out of business, that's my fav store!

Crazy X-Stitcher Etc said...

Congratulations on your Winter Exchange, it is so beautiful and very creative too.

Zohrah13

Lucy said...

What a beautiful package you sent. Love your blog by the way and your stitching. Stop over and visit mine if you have a chance.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Your finish is wonderful and I agree on the need to see and touch fabrics. I often buy fabrics I like in hopes of using them one day. The JoAnn's here has really changed in the last few years and not for the good so the whole company may be in trouble.

Kitty Couture said...

That so beautiful, Chris, what a great exchange!

Lennu said...

So pretty, a wonderful exchange!