My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things

April 30, 2006

Go to Wikipedia and look up your birth day (excluding the year). List three neat facts, two births and one death in your journal, including the year.

Facts

1848 - California gold rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter's Mill near Sacramento.
1908 - Robert Baden-Powell begins the Boy Scout movement.
1984 - The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.

I never realized that gold was found at Sutter's Mill on my birthday. I remember learing about the gold rush in school but never knew it all started on my birthday. Nothing special seems to have happened on my birthday in the year I was born. My best friend has a list of bad things including earthquakes and wars that happened on his birthday.


Births


76 - Hadrian, Roman Emperor (d. 138)
1959 - Vic Reeves, English comedian

Deaths
41 - Roman Emperor Gaius Caesar (Caligula), known for his eccentricity and cruel despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. Claudius succeeds his nephew.

Since I studied Classics and Roman archaeology I had to choose Hadrian and Caligula for birthdays and deaths.

No comments: